1. BEFORE WE COLLIDE (Dir: Guy Gooch & Gregor Petrikovic) In a haunting encounter, the film captures our fragmented perception of time during the pandemic while exploring the dynamics of mutual support.
2. AEON - EXTENDED (Dir: Jake Sefton) A ring discovered by a little girl has been carried throughout the generations.
3. TO MY FUTURE SELF (Dir: Charlie Southby) A conversation by a child during lockdown with his future self.
4. BUTCHERED (Dir: Honey Clark) Ever wondered how a butcher managed to acquire the finest, most tender meat? Well… you’re about to find out.
5. ABSENCE (Dir: Céline Ribard) A 1 minute short poetry film, based on the poem by Elizabeth Jennings and read by Jonah Hauer-King. Shot on super 8.
6. OUTSIDE (Dir: Georgia Gregory-Morris) A skirmish in the sitting room. Lamp wants to stay alight. Gardener thrives in darkness. One click. Two clicks. And then a third. Lamp loses and struggles to find his light in a new home; outside.
7. EATING GRAPES (Dir: Harry Edwards) An experimental film about peer pressure and fear of alcoholism.
8. THE CRASH (Dir: Lewys Rhodes) An interstellar short film.
9. SERONGA SUMMER COLLECTION (Dir: Viktorija Tupikaite) A fashion film. The beautiful designs include African Violet, Baobab Flower, Dwennimmen, Birds of Africa, Baobab and Native Flora of Africa.
10. ARTIFICIAL NOSTALGIA (Dir: Grace Alexander) An experimental lens looking at the past.
11. SLUSHY (Dir: Callum Wylie) Two frozen soft drinks fall in love and must find a way to be together.
12. G - GRAPH (Dir: Matthew Mason) A girl makes use of lucid dreaming to solve a confusing advanced calculus equation.
13. SMILE (Dir: Tilly Jones) This film is themed around kindness and the impact it can have on others.
14. TALK (Dir: Ross Wilders) A young man learns the importance of connection during this unprecedented time we are living in. He realises how vital it is to talk.
Age Recommendation: 15+ (Some scenes that may be unsuitable for young people under 15).
Every year we receive hundreds of entries into CINEMAGIC YOUNG FILMMAKER from young people wishing to share their stories with a wider audience. In 2021 we received over 600 short film submissions from the next generation of young creatives and we a delighted to share with you the competition shortlists.
The shortlists are presented in several different genre packages including – Drama, Animation, Documentary, Fantastic, Experimental, Music Video, Short Shorts and Under 18.
As well as celebrating their work, the Young Filmmaker Shortlist Showcase allows young directors to view films made by their peers and offers the opportunity for them to network online and talk movies! Join us as we celebrate the achievements of young people and meet the filmmaking stars of the future.